Monday, May 14, 2018

Wild Leek/Ramp Pesto


Recently at a local farmers' market I picked up some wild leeks/ramps from the lovely folks at Wood Nettle Farm. Before I could even ask about views on wildcrafting practices, Tibrata mentioned the importance of harvesting them in a sustainable way, only taking some from any particular patch and only taking the leaves instead of harvesting up by the roots. That was all I needed to hear. And if you happen to be the area, they have what looks to be some amazing workshops and other events, including potlucks. I will definitely be checking those out and visiting them again at the market.

I am freezing some of my ramps, and decided to make a small batch of pesto. I have tried a few different recipes, some call to sautée the leeks, but I prefer to just use them raw. Below is how I made this particular batch, which yielded about 1/2 a cup of pesto.

2 1/4 cups roughly chopped raw ramp leaves
1/3 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

I just put everyone together in the food processor and that's it. Even easier than basil pesto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment